A better valley through compassion.
Valcare cares about people living in poverty and supports caretakers and churches through information gathering and networking.
Christ centered, Community- and development-oriented, Caring, Serving others, Care, Co-operation, Involvement, Trust, Respect.
In 1999 spiritual leaders from different denominations and a priest of the Roman Catholic Church started addressing the poverty issue, which had become unmanageable for individual congregations to handle.
After initial talks the issue was discussed in-depth at a seminar held in 2000 at the Dutch Reformed Church, Drakenstein. A need for co-ordination and networks in the Paarl-Franschhoek community was identified, since feedback from the community indicated that there was often confusion about what services were offered regarding poverty upliftment, where and how it was offered, and also by whom.
A subsequent investigation by a committee showed the need to such information to be extremely vital and thus it was decided to register Valcare as a trust, set up an office and the appointment of a public relations officer. The Valcare office officially opened on April 1 2003 and registration was finalized on July 30 2004 (No: IT2378/2004).
Valcare Trust facilitates networks between organizations, churches, individuals, businesses etc. to alleviate poverty and increase the involvement in the Paarl Valley.
This facilitation takes place via the following functions.
- Annual visits to the organizations on our data base. During these visits a questionnaire will be completed with the aim to update the organizations information
- Evaluation visits to new organizations where a questionnaire will be completed to gather information for the Valcare data base.
- Geographical mapping of all organizations listed on the Valcare database.
- Updating of photos and information on the Valcare website.
- Reflection of organization information in the Valcare News that appears 6 times per annum in the Paarl Post.
- Weekly distribution of a network newsletter. Information contained in the newsletter is subject to examination.
- Updating the donor data base.
- Monitoring the needs of organizations through the Valcare office.
- Provide care and support to individuals involved in the organization. This care and support will be provided as the needs exist.
- Identify partnerships and cooperation between the different role players.
- Share information, solutions and resources.
- Valcare is the link between people (individuals, churches, businesses etc.) who want to be involved in the charity function and organization or organizations with each other.
- Receiving, sorting and delivery of donations to organizations. The donations will be allocated to organizations according to their needs indicated on the questionnaire.
- Sending of thank you letters to donors.
- Administering of funds. This administration is subject to examination.
- Valcare has a transparent bookkeeping system, audited annually.